Build Your Home
The Self-Help Homeownership program helps people build their own homes with construction and permanent financing coupled with coaching and training. Families who participate perform about 65% of the construction labor under qualified supervision, which builds their equity and lowers the monthly costs of ownership. Since 1995 we have helped over 400 families build their own homes, a life-changing experience with long term benefits.
The benefits that the Self-Help Build Housing Program provide to households is substantial!
What can program participants expect:
- NO DOWN PAYMENT
- Immediate equity upon completion of home
- Financing provided by USDA Rural Development
- Interest rates as low at 1%*
- 33 or 38 year loan terms
- Monthly payment based on what home owners currently earn and family size
- Low monthly mortgage payment
- Homes are up to 1,450 square feet, with two to four bedrooms and a one or two car garage
- Homeowners select from approved HRWC plans
- Project budget includes basic appliances
- Project budget includes basic landscaping
- Project budget includes basic window treatments
- Homeowners select from approved HRWC interior and exterior finishes for their new home
- Homeowners select their lot from the neighborhood development site
- Participants in the program must be willing to contribute a minimum of 30 hours per week for approximately 8 to 12 months
- Family and friends can contribute up to 15 hours per week which can count towards the 30 hours needed
- PRIDE OF HOMEOWNERSHIP
Who can apply?
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Hard working families or individuals who want to build their own home
- Families or individuals who want opportunities to build equity
- Must be gainfully employed and have a steady income
- Have not had a foreclosure in the last 3 years
- Have not had a bankruptcy in the last 3 years**
- Do not currently own a home
- Be able to devote at least 30 hours per week of labor (no experience necessary)
- Must meet USDA Rural Development credit and allowable debts
How long is the application process?
- The application process varies from person to person
- Typically, the application process takes 3-4 months unless otherwise specified to potential homeowner
- Applications are evaluated on an individual basis
The Self-Help Build Housing Program has allocated all lots at our Butner Estates neighborhood in Mesa County.
Housing Resources is looking for land in rural Mesa and Montrose Counties on which to build Self-Help homes. If you know of someone who would like to sell their property and have it benefit the Self-Help Build Housing Program, please contact us.
Call: (970) 241-2871