Housing Counseling and Education Center
Housing Resources is a HUD approved Housing Counseling Agency. We provide FREE housing counseling services to residents of the Western Slope of Colorado with any income level. The program serves as a supportive base for families seeking these services, and furthermore, as an organizational core program in supporting future first time homeowners and current homeowners. Our mission is to provide counseling assistance to Western Slope residents by achieving and maintaining the goal of homeownership.
These are the services provided through the Housing Counseling and Education Center include:
- Financial Coaching: Guides clients to reach their financial goals. The process is personalized and non-judgmental. Financial coaches provide support, encouragement, accountability, and tools to help people make informed decisions.
- Financial Capability Workshops: Primary focus on improving credit scores, raising income, increasing saving and reducing debt
- Homebuyer Education (HBE) Class: The workshop covers all the elements of the home buying process from financial preparation and credit review to mortgage financing and closing.
- Pre-Purchase Counseling: Covers topics like financial management, evaluating credit information, prequalifying & loan approval, financing options, shopping for a home, finalizing the loan, the closing process, maintaining your new home, avoiding foreclosure and predatory lending practices.
- Post-Purchase Coaching: Counselor helps clients understand those responsibilities and avoid things that pose a risk to ensure long-term success. Topics covered include: Maintaining, repairing and improving your home. Refinancing.
- Rental Counseling: Our specialized rental counseling will help you develop a personalized spending plan and provide you with advice for saving money, increasing income, and reducing debt. Our counselors will work with you to understand why credit matters. Calculating an affordable rent payment. Common landlord requirements. Understanding lease agreement. Basic tenant rights and affordable housing options.
- Foreclosure Prevention: A HUD-approved housing counselor is an experienced, trained professional who can advise you on preventing foreclosure, buying a home, protecting your credit, and other issues.
For more information, to request a workshop for a group, or to schedule a one-on-one, confidential, phone or virtual session with a HUD counselor, contact our office at (970) 241-2871 or e-mail us at email@example.com
Due to Covid-19, we have suspended our in person sessions. But, we provide a robust virtual platform to meet individual and group needs.
Housing Security Assistance Program
The Housing Security Assistance Program helps families and individuals in a wide range of needs on a case-by-case basis. The focus is on housing and housing services.
This program is currently serving residents of Montrose, Ouray, and San Miguel Counties.
To talk with a HUD Certified Counselor or to schedule a one-on-one web appointment to see how they can help you, please call (970) 241-2871.