HVAC Service Technician
Job Title: HVAC Service Technician
Reports To: Weatherization Program Manager
Position Description: A technical position responsible for all Weatherization related HVAC and water heater installations and repairs primarily for the Durgano and occasional Montrose district offices. This position requires a thorough knowledge installing and performing minor repair of gas or electric furnaces and gas or electric water heaters in site build homes and in manufactured homes. All installations must be to manufacture and industry specifications. A complete understanding of associated jurisdictional codes and required permitting is required. Preferred NATE certification for gas furnaces.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Required to remove old furnaces and replace with appropriate new furnaces as specified by weatherization program standards and local codes.
- Install associated pre-fabricated duct work to accommodate the replacement furnace.
- Commission replacement furnaces to manufacture specifications.
- Required to remove old water heaters and replace with appropriate new water heaters as specified by weatherization program standards and local codes.
- Install associated piping to accommodate the replacement water heater.
- Perform CAZ testing after replacement installations are complete.
- Follow safety standards, attend periodic safety meetings, and promote safe on-site job practices and vehicle operation safety.
- Ability to perform accurate load calculations.
- Maintain assigned vehicle and all provided test equipment.
- Attend program meetings, in-house or at the state level
- Other duties as requested by Weatherization Program Manager
Nominal Work Load Expectation:
- Remove old furnaces and replace with appropriate new furnaces and install associated duct work for proper connection to supply and return – 45%
- Remove old water heaters and replace with appropriate new water heaters and associated piping – 35%
- Work closely with weatherization crews to properly coordinate timely installations – 15%
- Review and maintain current awareness of regional/state/federal regulations pertaining to proper installation of associated combustion equipment– 5%
- Proven experience concerning residential HVAC and water heater repair and installation for site built and manufactured homes
- Understanding of residential building science and proper HVAC system design
- NATE Furnace Certification and training highly desirable
- Refrigeration certification desired
- Preferred working knowledge of MS Word and Excel software
- Ability to communicate effectively with general public
- Strong team relationship skills in order to work effectively with weatherization crews
- Good organizational and time management skills
Other Conditions that may be required and associated position benefits:
- Work in both office and job site environment in in all weather conditions
- Fill out associated work orders and order forms with regional wholesale providers
- Ability to climb a 26' ladder and traverse and work on a roof with a pitch of 4" per 12" run to install combustion gas exhaust piping or conduct inspections.
- Pull oneself up 2' by the arms from a step ladder to enter a 15"x18" attic hatch.
- Crawl through a crawl space access hatch 15"x18" in size and crawl on back in a 24" crawl space for a distance of 60'.
- Able to be courteous when dealing with difficult clients
- Travel and perform work as assigned in the entire 12 county service area of southwest Colorado if so requested.
- Position requires some occasional evening and/or weekend work and overnight stays at remote office locations may occur.
- Must obtain a Colorado driver’s license
- HRWC provides work vehicle and required tools of the trade
- Salary commensurate with experience, benefits include earned personal leave, family health insurance plan, 401K, paid holidays
- HRWC is an equal opportunity employer
- Demonstrated commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (REDI).
It is the policy of HRWC to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual preference, age, or disability. People of color and people of all national origins, genders, gender identities, sexual preferences, ages, disabilities and other diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Weatherization Program Manager
Housing Resources of Western Colorado
295 Girard Street, Unit C
Durango, CO 81303