Housing Counseling Navigator
Housing Counseling Navigator
The Housing Counselor position provides one-on-one housing counseling to the residents of Montrose County and surrounding Counties in the areas of Rental Counseling and coaching Foreclosure Prevention/Default Intervention Counseling, Financial Capability as well as Pre-purchase and Post-Purchase Counseling. In addition, primary responsibilities may include conducting educational workshops, intake and eligibility determination for financial assistance, and collection of demographic information, and facilitates client resolutions through advocacy with lenders, community agencies and government assistance programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively speak in group or one on one settings and facilitate presentations.
- Respond to questions from clients, and the public.
- Follow necessary agency policies, Colorado procedures, rules and regulations, where applicable for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA) and Housing Resources of Western Colorado. Must have or acquire a working knowledge of all pertinent regulations applicable to the position within six months of date of hire.
- Recognize problems, analyze causes, and propose solutions.
- Consistently meet deadlines for reports, billing and requested data.
- This position will require the successful applicant to work out of our Montrose office.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Professionally represent our Agency positive, professional and ethical manner in community relations activities as required.
- Participate in committee work, both internal and external, in support of Housing Resources goals.
- Maintain effective, unbiased working relationships with lenders, realtors, other professionals and persons who are economically disadvantaged.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide respectful quality services to a culturally diverse population. Treat people with respect and work with integrity and professional ethics to uphold the agency’s values and our mission.
- Learn and be able to relay general information about Housing Resource’s Programs to the public and other community organizations.
- Make rational and appropriate decisions. Must be able to write clearly and professionally.
- Maintain the utmost confidentiality of all client information.
- Maintain participant files in accordance with applicable procedures and regulations, including appropriately and thoroughly documenting interactions with clients and other interested parties.
- Use a time management system and other organizational tools to prioritize and organize tasks, manage time effectively, and meet prescribed deadlines.
- Work on multiple assignments and maintain necessary record-keeping systems to support reporting requirements.
- Attend scheduled meetings with the Supervisor to discuss various items of concern and/or interest to both parties. Attend mandatory Staff meetings.
- Adapt well to change in the work environment. Must be able to work with frequent interruptions and respond curiously and professionally.
- Be a team player and act in a manner that is in the best interest of Housing Resources of Western CO.
- Comply with all provisions of the employee handbook.
- Must meet certification requirement within the established time frame.
- Maintain office, office files and client files in a neat and clean manner.
- Some occasional travel is required for Training Seminars and Partnership meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively in a team work environment, supporting colleagues in achieving shared objectives.
- Requires the ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative and work independently.
- Must have excellent skills in, financial analysis, communication, negotiations, and budgeting.
- The Housing Counselor Position entails effectively speaking in public in support of Housing Resources Home Ownership Program, must be able to speak in public and present the Home Buyer Education Course at least but, not limited to once a month on a Saturday.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university, or an equivalent level of professional experience, skills and abilities is required. Experience in single family mortgage lending is strongly preferred. Work experience should be appropriate to this position.
- A combination of education and work experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency is a necessity. Computer literacy sufficient to manage program management software and other standard office equipment, including projectors and laptops.
- Colorado Driver’s License is required as well as the ability to be insured at standard rates; must be willing to travel to Grand Junction office as needed.
- Must obtain HUD certification within 6 months of employment
- Bilingual Preferred (Spanish/English)
- Salary Range depending on experience
- Full Time, non-exempt position with benefits
- Physical requirements are commensurate with construction contractor supervision
- Occasional evening and/or weekend work
- Travel as needed, regionally and nationally; valid driver’s license required
- Criminal background checks and random drug screenings are required.
- HRWC is an equal opportunity employer
Submit cover letter and resume to: Deb Hoffman
524 30 Road, Suite 3
Grand Junction, CO 81504