Energy Technician I for Weatherization – Montrose
Job Title: Energy Technician I for Weatherization
Reports To: Weatherization Production Coordinator and Crew Leader
Located At: 460 N Townsend, Montrose CO 81401
Compensation: $17.00/hour depending on experience.
Full time position (40 hours/week), overtime pay at time and a half, non-exempt.
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Paid time off for vacation/holiday/sick time, Company match retirement savings plan
Closing Date: When position is filled
About The Company:
Housing Resources of Western Colorado is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization focused on increasing the comfort, safety, and efficiency of Colorado homes, especially for low-income households. If you are someone that is looking to make a difference, wants to learn valuable skills, has a great work ethic, honest values, is team oriented, and doesn’t mind getting your hands dirty, then this position is for you.
Energy Technician I for Weatherization is a technical non-exempt position that performs a variety of home energy weatherization and insulation procedures in accordance with established practices and Colorado Energy Office (CEO) Weatherization (WX) field standards and procedures.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
Performs specific weatherization procedures including, but not limited to:
- Hang and weather-strip doors.
- Glaze, caulk and weather-strip windows.
- Install vapor barriers and other energy conservation measures in crawl spaces.
- Seal rim joists, top plates, roof leaks and minor plumbing leaks.
- Wrap duct pipes and water lines.
- Calculate and install adequate combustion air and ventilation openings for foundation and roof vents.
- Installs flue barriers and minor sheet metal work.
- Installs insulation in attics, sidewalls, etc. in accordance with manufacturer's specifications and CEO standards.
- Operates a variety of calculation equipment including computerized blower door. Also, operates insulating machinery.
- Utilizes power tools and other hand tools for repair work.
- Conducts an educational component with each household.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be proficient in weatherization and insulation measures to include:
- General Energy Conservation Measures (ECM)
- Insulation measures
- Blower door technology
- Must be capable of learning & understanding field standards and other energy conservation methods.
- Must be capable of taking written and practical tests for training and certification purposes.
- Must be willing to learn and abide by all safety requirements.
- Relate well to low income, handicapped and elderly clients.
- Have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with:
- Co-workers, clients and the general public.
- Be able to conduct client education on energy related matters.
- Be able to operate computerized blower door equipment.
- Have the ability to safely operate common hand & power tools.
- Possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver's License and good driving record.
- Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable.
- Be able to attend CEO required training sessions and be certified in certain areas.
- High School diploma or equivalent with previous experience in home construction or maintenance, carpentry or related areas OR any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other Conditions and Requirements:
- Travel to outlying areas to preform work and on occasion stay overnight at a motel to stay in proximity to the work site.
- Use standard hand and power tools (electric drill, hole hog, sawz-all) from ground level to 18” overhead.
- Climb a 16’ ladder carrying common hand and power tools.
- Work from a ladder reaching 18” to the right or left to use common hand and power tools.
- Traverse and work on a roof with a pitch of 8” per 12” run.
- Pull self up 2’ by the arms from a 6’ step ladder to enter a 15”x 18” attic hatch.
- Lift a 35 pound bag of insulation from ground level to full arm extension.
- Crawl through a crawl space access hatch 15”x 18” in size.
- Carry 48” perimeter insulation weighing 35 pounds and manipulate it in a 24” crawl space.
- Crawl on ones back in a 24” high crawl space for a distance of up to 60’.
- Work overhead in a 24” crawl space using common tools.
- Carry and manipulate a 4’ x 8’ sheet of plywood, dry wall or cellotex.
- Work in damp, dirty quarters while exposed to extremes in temperature.
Valid driver’s license required
Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.
HRWC is an equal opportunity employer
It is the policy of HRWC to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual preference, age, or disability. People of color and people of all national origins, genders, gender identities, sexual preferences, ages, disabilities and other diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Submit cover letter and resume:
Weatherization Program Manager
Housing Resources of Western Colorado
295 Girard Street, Unit C
Durango, CO 81303